Demolition Day

I missed blogging yesterday. I wasn’t here. I was home getting dirty. Over the weekend I started a remodeling project in the upstairs bathroom. We had a spot of spongy floor and a potential mold problem. First we started with the appliances (I’m leaving the shower until very last so I’m not stinky all week). The toilet didn’t need to be unbolted, the bolts had so much corrosion they just came apart. The sink and vanity were fun because the plumber used crappy valves and it wouldn’t stop dripping, even when tightened with a pipe wrench. The most difficult of all was the 4-foot long radiator (overkill in this 5′ x 10′ room) that wouldn’t budge until pried off. Once all of that was gone, the messy stuff started. Much like an archaeologist removes layers of rubble to get to the bones of structures, I did the same. Below the carpet, linoleum and two subfloors, I found the hardwood floor. To my surprise, it was only rotted in a small area. I took down the two layers of sheetrock to get down to the plaster walls. So now that we’re at the point where we can start building.

As I was working, it made me think of projects that start with a website transfer. A lot of the companies we take on take advantage of the hosting plan we can provide. This comes with our search engine marketing or as a package. We don’t usually host sites we aren’t doing SEO with, unless we’ve designed or created back-end pieces for them. On occasion, we will get sites that were created on other servers, whether in PHP, ASP or Coldfusion. Most dynamic sites were built “server specific,” which means that there were specifically tailored for the system they were on. This is not always done by choice, but by necessity or habit. In almost every case, once that site is moved from its old server to ours, there are problems because of the slight differences. What we have to do is similar to what I’ve been working on this past weekend. Tear it down to where you can begin rebuilding. Sometimes it’s just pulling off a layer of carpet, or filling in a drywall patch, but sometimes it requires taking it down to the joists and studs and getting to the bones themselves. Of course this takes time and money, and we have to gauge what is most efficient for DDA and what will serve our client best. Unfortunately, we don’t know what we’re getting in to until we start stripping down the layers. We might have rotten joists, and in that case, the bones of the project need to be rebuilt.