My A-HA Moment…

Since I am home by 4 o’clock each day, I get to catch Oprah while I am folding the laundry or starting dinner. And I always hear her reference an A-HA Moment. I do not get to completely focus on what she means by this, since I am usually handing out after-school snacks, tying someone’s shoes or answering the phone. My take on an A-HA moment is when the little light bulb in your brain turns on and you figure something out for yourself.

Well yesterday at DDA, a search engine marketing company, I feel like I had an A-HA Moment of my own.
While most websites that are enrolled into our SureThing Optimization Program are created of HTML files, there are a handful of websites that include .asp or .php files.

PHP is defined as “(a recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a computer scripting language, originally designed for producing dynamic web pages. It is for server-side scripting, but can be used from a command line interface or in standalonegraphical applications.

And even after reading this, I still don’t have a clue to what it means. Basically, everything that I am used to doing while optimizing a website just was not working with the .php files.

So instead of making the usual intercom call to Mick for help, I decided to go it alone and try to figure it out for myself. Diving into the source code and reading through code that I had never seen before displayed in bright red, I felt a little intimidated. But, I pressed on. After a few optimization tricks were added, it was the moment of truth.

I uploaded my work and previewed it in Internet Explorer. To my dismay, nothing showed up. Back to Dreamweaver and after several minutes of scrolling up and down… and up and down — A-HA!! I figured out what was wrong, quickly uploaded the file again, refreshed my browser and then… nothing. Feeling so tempted to reach for that phone to call Mick… but no, once more into the code thinking to myself, “Come on, there has to be something I’m missing.”

Feeling annoyed at this point and sick of looking at the website’s source code, I reluctantly uploaded the file, refreshed my browser and there it was! Finally, my true A-HA moment! My beautifully optimized web page sitting right in front of me like a present on Christmas morning.

That was a pretty exciting moment in my optimization world yesterday. But for today I think I will stick to HTML files…